Part 2, Chapters 7-11
In this episode, we finished Part 2 of "The Green Mile" and will soon move on to Part 3. Discussion questions for this session are below. Thank you to Michelle in Illinois for her feedback.
- With Chapter 7 comes the arrival of Eduard Delacroix. What was your first impression of Del? Did you come to like him as the story went on?
- Again, the question about why Percy wanted to work on the Green Mile arose. Have you changed your opinion as to Percy’s motives when the question was asked previously?
- In Chapter 8, Mr. Jingles and Del meet for the first time and took to one another. Why do you suppose the bond between the two of them became so strong?
- Percy offers to help Del get a box for Mr. Jingles and to get some cotton batting from the dispensary, which means Percy seemed to change his attitude. Why is Percy acting this way? Do you think that Percy is biding his time before seeking some kind of revenge?
- In Chapter 9, we see Mr. Jingles roll the spool for the first time, which impresses the others. Were you impressed with Mr. Jingles did this?
- In Chapter 10, William Wharton was first mentioned in detail. We read a bit about him before he actually arrives on E Block. Did you feel that Wharton would eventually come to be big trouble?
- (Please pay special attention to these two points: 1) Paul describes how his urinary tract infection made him feel and 2) Hal reveals Melinda’s brain tumor to Paul. These two conditions are key points in the book and will come up again.
- Chapter 11 deals with the arrival of Wharton. When we first see him, he appears to be doped, but then, he causes a major scene which nearly kills Dean Stanton. It was mentioned that the guards didn’t actually ask if Wharton was doped. Do you think they were a bit careless by just making this assumption?
We now have 14 subscribers! I am pleased that we're getting off the ground, and I look forward to even more subscribers.
Please send comments, answers to discussion questions, other insights, and comments to me.
Please see "Sharon's Favorite Links" for the URL's to the websites of the podcasts I've mentioned on teh show.
Until next time, stay warm, have a wonderful week, and happy reading. :)